In the IT sector, more and more projects and applications are migrating to the cloud in pursuit of greater cost savings, reliability, and predictability. In doing so, however, many customers instead begin to incur higher costs due to a lack of knowledge about implementing features in the cloud, hence missing out on the financial benefits that cloud environments have to offer. To further complicate matters, each cloud (AWS, Azure, Good Cloud Platform, etc.) has its own best practices. As such, with pressure to go live, the complexity of the cloud, and the wide range of cloud services available, it is increasingly difficult to design cloud architecture that optimizes function while minimizing costs.
To get the most out of your cloud migration, here are numerous techniques that are used for cloud cost savings, many of which can be built into your architecture. For the AWS cloud, these are some of the cloud cost saving techniques that we recommend:
- Use the AWS Pricing Calculator – If you are planning to migrate your applications from OnPrem to Cloud, the Pricing Calculator lets you explore AWS services and create an estimate for the cost of your use cases on AWS. You can also model your solutions before building them.
- Choose the Right EC2 Pricing Models – You can reduce costs through a combination of Reserved Instances, Spot Instances, and Savings Plans depending on which services you have and your compute usage. With a variety of pricing models and resources to choose from, we can help you select an option that meets your requirements for performance and cost efficiency.
- Match Capacity with Demand – Identify (and implement) cost savings features through AWS, including rightsizing, stopping orphan or low-utilization instances, as well as leveraging autoscaling or on-demand options.
- Implement Processes to Identify Resource Waste – Optimize your cloud resources and only pay for what you need. You can do this through snapshotting volumes with low activity before deleting them, reorganizing infrequently accessed objects to lower cost storage tiers, and deleting idle load balancers.
Navitas incorporates these techniques (and more) in our 3-phase model, shown below:
- Analyze the current cloud cost spend
- Enable schedulers
- Rightsizing instances
- Proactive cost monitoring using AWS cost explorer
- Shut down non-production resources during on-business hours
- Conduct Weekly brown bag sessions with all cloud engineers to share techniques
- Rearchitect applications into cloud-centric, cost-efficient models
- Switch Database Engines to less expensive options
- Scalability reviews
- Horizontal Scaling Implementation
- Design cost policies
- Provisioning flows for provisioning standard resources
- Implement cost management policies
This model is also tailored to fit our clients’ needs – we offer a cloud cost-management plan to customers of all sizes, whether they’re in private, hybrid, or public clouds. We believe cloud optimization is a continuous process and will be with you every step of the way.
Navitas Business Consulting is an award-winning, woman and minority owned, SBA 8(a) certified IT Consulting & Solutions Company with expertise in Multi-Cloud, Digital Engineering, Data Insights, Kubernetes Services, and Artificial Intelligence. With the perfect combination of technology, people, innovation, and expertise, we are committed to helping you improve speed, achieve desired outcomes, and reduce costs. To learn more about Navitas, visit www.navitas-tech.com.
Shashi has more than 20 years of experience in the software industry with experience in Big 5 consulting, public sector, and financial industries. Shashi has helped Navitas win several new accounts by providing strategic technology and consulting expertise in Scaled Agile, DevSecOps, Cloud, and Big Data analytics.